Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Twitchin' Fingers

I have been blogging, lurking and commenting for a couple months now. It's a lot of fun and feel like I have made some new friends. But it is such a l-o-n-g, tedious process for me. I don't have high-speed internet or DSL. I have freaking slow dial-up! 26.4 kbps or lower. Those who have such wonderful photos... takes for-evah to load. I don't want to miss anything so I wait. I try to have 3 windows up at a time so I can be reading others while waiting. Various bloggers have been talking about knitting and crocheting. The weather is cooler, the work on the houses has slowed down and now my fingers are twitching. Itching to get back to the yarns.

I learned to knit when I was a teenager. I taught myself to crochet when Only Daughter was a baby. I like the look and feel of knitted projects but crocheting is soooo much easier and quicker. I have crocheted hundreds of afghans, baby blankets, potholders, kitchen towel/toppers, and a lot of other items too numerous to mention. I love to crochet! I love to create different patterns. What I love the most... is when I give them as gifts to people I care about. Actually, I get asked to make blankets and other items for people I don't even know! My friends and family ask me to make stuff for them to give as gifts. Of course, I say 'Yes'. Gives me an excuse to do what I enjoy most.

For awhile there were babies on the way by the dozens so my fingers were flying for 10 to 12 hours a day! The baby boom has slowed down. Another favorite is the kitchen towels with crocheted tops to hook to cabinets or stoves or fridges are fast and easy to do. I have a stock pile of 75 towels (which makes 150) but they are all packed up and at the new house. Hmmm... I do have a tub of some yarn in one closet. Maybe I could make something to appease my itchy fingers?

Last Christmas, I made scarves and hats out of that new type yarn... Fun Fur, Boa Yarn and a couple others I can't think of what they are called but I bought to try out. Some work better knitted and some work better crocheted. I didn't know if Only Daughter would like something like that, but I made her a set and her friend a set and they loved them. Other Daughter asked for a set so I made her and her baby a set. I really liked the ones I did for Other Daughter. Red and fluffy. I bought yarn to make myself a scarf but I was too busy making stuff for other people. Maybe this year.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I will go see what yarn is in that tub and figure out what I can do with it.... Anybody need a baby blanket????

8 comments:

don't call me MA'AM said...

My mom taught me how to crochet when I was younger, but I never made anything more than a hot pad or a really long, skinny (5 or 6 rows tops) scarf. Apparently, I was too impatient for anything bigger. ;-)

Oh, as for dial-up... sorry to hear that. I don't think I could ever go back.

Jaek said...

My blanket is a must have in the winter. Under our sheets and comforter is that blanket. I almost can't sleep without it. The kids also have about four of different sizes and colors and they love them too.

stinkypaw said...

I don't need a baby blanket, but I wouldn't mind a doggy blanket! My grand mother thaught me to crochet and knitt but I got tired of making the never ending scarf... maybe when I'm older and grey... oh wait, that could be just about now...

I love to give things that I've made, for me the thing to give is jams. I'll be making some nectarine preserve tomorrow, since they are in season... I love the personal touches.

As for the dial-up, that is totally unacceptable, you need to get wired Mimaw, once you'll get a taste of speed you'll never go back...

MiMaw said...

DCMM: But you can SING!!

Other Daughter: I am so glad you liked the scarves. Yes, I will teach you to crochet. Do you still have the green/beige blanket I made you?

Jaek: Which one are you sleeping with? Not the gray/black stripe? Whatever happened to the red/white/blue one?

Stinkypaw: Hey! Maybe we can make a trade? Jam for blanket? What color & how big?
Found out today that I will have DSL at the new house WOO HOO! If we EVER sell this house and move there!

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of blankets from you and I love them all! I'm sure you remember how my crocheting attempt turned out...not pretty. That was a many years ago, it might be time to learn again :)

Jaek said...

Yes, the gray/black one. It's extra long and covers my toes while letting me pull it up to my neck.

The red, white, and blue one is in Z's blanket rotation. It's a heavier blanket and works well for the winter.

Anonymous said...

yes, let's!

MiMaw said...

Instead of knitting needles, crochet hooks are used. We'll form a club and call ourselves The Happy Hookers!
My darling Daughters, I would love to teach you to crochet but if you learn and crochet for yourselves YOU WON'T NEED ME ANYMORE! or at least not my crochet gifts.