Friday, August 18, 2006

I Do Believe In Spooks*

Movies, books and television dealing with ghosts, paranormal, supernatural, and psychic phenomenom intrigue me. Some make me laugh, some make me wonder, some scare me and some make me wish I believed in ghosts.

The Ghost & Mrs. Muir
The Ghost & Mr. Chicken
Ghostbusters
Ghost Dad
Ghost (especially the pottery wheel scene)
Sixth Sense
Dragonfly
Always
What Lies Beneath
The Frightners
House (the movie not the television series)
Drop Dead Fred
Twilight Zone
Friday the 13th the Series
Nightstalker
X-Files
Twin Peaks
The Dead Zone
Ghost Whisperer
Medium
Supernatural
Psi Factor
Lost
Kay Hooper's book series on the special unit of the FBI consisting solely of people with some type of psychic abilities.

I want to believe but my little voice inside me won't let me. Part of it has to do with Bible scripture. In I Samuel 28, King Saul cleansed the land of Israel from all occult practices, but when he consulted God on the threat of a Philistine invasion, he got no answer and turned to the Witch of Endor. A spirit or vision of Samuel appeared before Saul but not because the witch conjured it up (she was more surprised than Saul!). It was God's doing and he admonished Saul for his actions.

So it stuck in my head that there are no such things as the Spirit of the Dead or Ghosts. But I want to believe in ghosts and visions of spirits. I want to be able to communicate with those who have passed on. That's it in a nutshell... why I can't believe. There have been loved ones in my life who have passed on and if it were possible to see them or for them to communicate with us, I know in my heart of hearts that they would have done so by now.

Now on the other hand, I believe in evil spirits possessing a person. Oh, not to the extent of The Exorcist with spewing green shit and the head doing a complete 360, but mental conditions like schizophrenia and such that cannot be controlled by medicines could fall into that category. Definitely the serial killers like Jeffrey Dahmers, Ted Bundy, The Boston Strangler, the Son of Sam (David Berkowitz), Dennis Rader - BTK, John Wayne Gacy, Gary Leon Ridgway (the Green River Murders), and of course Charles Manson (although the list goes on and on). They have no conscience, no soul and I believe are possessed by evil spirits. No childhood trauma or genetic faux pas could explain what they and others like them have done.

So why can't I believe in the good spirits? Of those who have gone before us? I hang onto something I learned when quite young... when you die, you're dead. Your body turns to dust and ashes. Your spirit or breath of life leaves you. You don't go to heaven or hell. Nothing happens until Christ's Second Coming. I don't visit my Mother's grave because she is not there. Like I said, I have hung onto that belief for many years, but I am not so sure about it anymore. First of all, the spirit or breath of life leaves a person... so where does it go? Too many accounts of near death experiences indicate there is something after death. I have not had any actual ghost sightings but I have felt things which could only have come from my Mother. My Baby Son has had visions. He was about 8 years old when he dreamt that my aunt (whom he had met only once) died in a car accident. Several days later, my aunt was killed in a car accident and the details were the same as what Baby Son dreamt. When he was about 12 or 13, he had a dream about another aunt dying (one he knew well and loved). He was really upset about it because he knew it would happen and soon... and it did. Yet, my Mother has not contacted him (at least as far as I know) and if possible, she would have. He was very close to my Mother and all the stupid, crazy stunts he has pulled over the years... I would have expected her to show herself, slap him up side the head (or kick him in the ass) and knock some sense into him!

I spoke with a cousin last week and he said him and his family had moved into his parents' house after his father had passed away. He is a scoffer at the supernatural hocus pocus, as he calls it. He would be the first one to laugh at anyone who said they had seen a ghost BUT not anymore. He saw his mother's ghost in what was her bedroom. He said it scared the beejeebies out of him, but he had no doubt in his mind that it was her. I want to believe him.

Guilt creates a barrier for me. I think that God would be upset (pissed) with me for believing in ghosts, paranormal, psychic abilities and the like. So I hold myself back. If I feel that I have experienced something of a supernatural phenomenom, I shun it and explain it away. I guess I need more proof or evidence of personal experiences from people I know. So if anyone has had a ghostly encounter, please share with me... make me a believer!

*This is a line from a classic movie... what movie and who said it? This is WAY TOO EASY!

6 comments:

stinkypaw said...

Wow! That is a tough one! I must say I'm a little confuse... I not really aware of the differences between religions, so I was a bit surprise to read your ref. to the bible and then that when you die that's it. It's not what I was thaught.

I do believe in spirits. And I don't think that this is it. I've had a few "experience" myself and there are too many signs for me not to believe that there's something "out there". I've never tried to convince anyone of what I've experienced, because it happened to "me"... I guess it's all about what we choose to believe. The fact that you're questionning what you've been taught, in my books, is a very good thing. You should open your mind and make your own decisions about what YOU believe in - not because you were told to believe in something versus another.

I believe that our bodies do die, but not our spirits - we go on. You probably guessed it, I do believe in reincarnation. We come back to keep bettering ourselves. I believe that. We don't come back as we were, but as a version of us that need to work on something, to complete some of the things we did get to in this life... For me, it doesn't mean that it gives me the right the foul things up in this life, because I have another life to patch things up after, not at all. I believe in living this life, like it was my last, so I have to do the best I can, not hurt others and work upon myself to be a better person.

I had for many years doubts about my beliefs, and I still do, but one thing I know for sure is that people who did love me (and who are now gone) are protecting me. Some pray to God, I ask my father, or a favourite aunt. I had a "proof", in Greece, 2 years ago, and I remember thinking "if this happens I will believe that you're there for me" (I was addressing my father), and it did. Of course I could have done like so many of us and say, "oh well, that was just a pure coincidence" and forget about it. But how much proof does one need? Irrefutable proof? Doesn't really exist. Like ANY belief it's a choice we make, and I choose to believe that there's good out there (as well as bad, but I'm "protected").

OK! I think that is enough for a "comment"!!! If you want more, send me an e-mail!

Red said...

Let's just say that I'm so scared of all that stuff that I haven't yet made it all the way through your entry.

I adore your comments on my page. Viva MiMaw!

Jaek said...

I am skeptical of all ghost encounter stories. I used to work with a woman who was convinced she had a ghost living in her home. He was, apparently, a benevolent spirit, as he would periodically turn her coffee pot on for her in the morning. She was always reading books about the "paranormal". I just listened to her stories and bit my tongue.

I would add this as a Scripture reference to support spiritual forces that are at work around us (Angels and Demons, not ghosts):

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Ephesians 6:12

MiMaw said...

I didn't mean to make this about religion per se, especially mine but I guess it goes hand in hand.

Stinkypaw: I didn't mean that is the end... I said, "Nothing happens until Christ's Second Coming." It isn't so much what I have been taught but what I have learned which is the basis for my beliefs. I don't take anyone's word for anything unless I have researched it and found it to be true. What I question is my own interpretation of what I learned when I was younger.

As far as reincarnation goes, I am sorry but that's what idea which I don't believe in. I'll leave it at that.

I do believe some people are more susceptible to psychic energy and there are some (not as many as claim to be) who are gifted in psychic abilities, but to what extent... I haven't made up my mind.

Red: This stuff scares you? Online dating... that would scare the hell out of me! You are a better (wo)man than me, Gunga Din!

Jaek: ...but do you believe in psychic ability to any degree? Would the gift of prophecy fall into this category?

Anonymous said...

I'm at work, it's 3:30am, and my brain is too mushy for this deep subject. I can say that the line is from The Wizard of Oz - it was just on last week :)

MiMaw said...

Only Daughter: I was hoping for an opinion on this subject from you. You win a Gold Star... yes, from the Wizard of Oz! The Cowardly Lion.