Thursday, June 29, 2006

Look What I Can Do

My #1 Son (aka mikinoel) looks like his Father but has inherited a lot his talents and non-talents from me. He is a creative soul, imaginative, a dreamer, has an acute (finely tuned but cute, too!)memory, ingenious procrastination skills, is mathematically dysfunctional, and has weird elbows!

I must have known this. It isn't something one can hide or ignore. Or maybe because it is normal for me, I just never noticed it as being something out of the ordinary on him. I know! I got it! It is because up until yesterday, I didn't know he had gone through some of the same trials and tribulations (more trials than tribulations... most people don't look at it as an attribute... usually they look at it and say "Eeuuew!") I went through as a kid and young adult.

The discussion was Vacation Bible School and songs. I remember my VBS as a kid, young adult and adult. An attendee, a helper and a teacher. Leading songs was part of the package. I was always requested to lead "In the Lord's Army". The audience laughed when I 'flew' the plane. My wings were drastically bent in the middle. The laughter was at me but with love (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Son came up with similar experiences. We spent 10 minutes comparing notes on what other people thought of our unique ability.

I was cheerleader (hard to believe looking at me now) and keeping the arms straight was a big deal. L.C. (aka BMB...Big Mouth Bitch) kept yelling at me to straighten my arms. "I am!" "No you're not! They're bent." Son had a similar experience in the Army. "What the #%$* is wrong with your arms!" So we had to learn to relax the arms a little to keep them looking straight. What the morons didn't understand was for us it caused undue stress on the arm muscles.

In 8th grade I had got into trouble. A group in the back of the room were freaked out by my backward elbows and called me "retarded" (popular derogatory remark of the era).

Both Son and I can 'lock' our elbows which can be handy or extremely painful. His was handy, mine was painful. I would lean back on my arms, thus locking the elbows. Some thought it was funny to karate chop (equivalent of kneeing someone from behind) the inside of my elbows which were on the outside when in the locked position. OWWW! Damn! that hurt!

Since I was obviously unaware of this inherited condition in #1 Son, I wonder is Only Daughter had this trait? I am sure Baby Son has it but he has suffered through it like Mother & Brother have.

Hmmm... just thought of something. Has #1 Son also inherited the weird knees from his Father? I should know this. Like our elbows, the Father's knees snap back in a locked position making the legs look 'bent'. If Son has this... oooh, I am sorry... to be plagued with weird elbows AND weird knees...well, blame it on your gene pool!

Just talked to Baby Son... yes, he has the weird elbows and he says we discussed all of the above before. I think they as brothers discussed it without me.

2 comments:

Jaek said...

I don't have the weird knees, just the weird elbows.

Baby Bro and I did discuss this subject once, but you were not a part of it.

I think we should take some pics of our weird elbows and put them up on our blogs.

Anonymous said...

Only Daughter does not have weird elbows or weird knees (I don't think). Nope, I just checked - luckily I am not at work today or I would've looked PRETTY SILLY (more silly than pretty).

However, I am WEIRD, but in a good way (if I do say so myself), so whomever that comes from, Mom or Dad or both) - thank you!

I love your blogs (Mom and #1 Son) because they are a way for us to communicate without really communicating :)