Monday, June 26, 2006

Ain't Life Funny

The Fourth of July is just around the corner. This year marks the 25th anniversary of meeting my #1 Man. A Blind Date. One that was set up in the most unusual of circumstances. One that proves that God works in mysterious ways!

My sister in law called a 'friend', Woody, in April of 1981 to chat. While she was on the phone, I was sitting nearby but I could only hear her end of the conversation and even then I was only half listening. Somehow, the subject of available men was brought up. He must have gone into a lengthy description of someone he knew, her silence as she listened is what actually got my attention. She sighed and said he was too young for her. I sat up, raised my hand and said, "What about me? Me, me, me! I want to meet him!" Woody knew me so he agreed to try to set up a date for the 4th of July picnic planned at his best friend's home (who was the cousin of this mystery man).

Several days before the big day, he calls me and we talk for awhile about trivial stuff. There must have been a spark of interest on both our parts because we agreed to make it a date.

I can't say it was Love at First Sight... actually he scared the be-jeebies out of me. I had been reading a romance novel which involved a mountain man kidnapping a woman, raping her, and keeping her a captive slave. My first sight of my date was him arriving on a big ass motorcycle, wearing a leather jacket, helmet, sunglasses and sporting a full beard. My overactive imagination brought to mind the story I had been reading and I thought, "This mountain of a man is my date?" A lump of fear rose in my throat... or was it anticipation? or excitement?

The day progressed with lots of fun and laughter with this boisterous group of people (mostly men). An abundance of family and friends... the Man's 4 brothers (5 if you include Fred as a brother) 3 cousins and lots of friends. I felt comfortable and at ease with all of them until the infamous MCP debate. I firmly believed most men were Male Chauvinistic PIGS! Cousin Joe and I got into a heated debate which set the stage for 25 years of antagonism, hostility and negativity which will probably continue for the next 25 years (or more like... to infinity and beyond!).

Trying to cool the atmosphere, my 'date' offered to take me for a motorcycle ride. Ho Boy! I hadn't been on a motorcycle in more than 10 years and tried desperately to get out of riding one that day. I came up with every excuse I could think of. I had no shoes...Whoosh! Ten pairs of shoes landed at my feet. I had no jacket...Voila! Cousin Phil handed me his leather jacket. Mmmmm... it was buttery soft and smelled oh so expensive. I had no helmet... Plunk! One was pushed onto my head from behind.

I had run out of excuses so I found myself on the back of a black GoldWing, hanging onto the grip bars until my knuckles were white and turning numb. We rode through Johnson Park, gliding over the winding roads. I began to relax and actually enjoyed myself (although my grip didn't loosen much!) so much so that I agreed to take a road trip to Harrison the next day.

The 100 mile ride up there wasn't too bad with frequent stops to stretch the butt muscles. We visited their Aunt and Uncle who lived up there and spent the afternoon swimming at the local beach. Okay... I swam... and a few of the West Side cousins swam but the East Siders either waded or floundered in the water! Early evening we had dinner... the whole fam damily at one table... what a sight (and sound)!

A day of fresh air, swimming and a full belly made for a long ride home. I could hardly stay awake so they threatened to super glue me to the seat! They all took turns riding up alongside us to check on me. My arse was soooo sore I could barely swing my legs over the seat to get off!

My date walked me to my apartment door and with reluctance I asked him to come in. He had been the perfect gentleman all weekend! We sat on the sofa, he leaned towards me, reached out.... I thought, "Here it comes... the real guy will show himself now." He pulled my boots off, stood up, grabbed my hands to help me up and then walked me to the door. He told me he had a wonderful time, kissed my cheek, walked out the door, got on his motorcycle and rode off into the night. I stood there with my mouth open, my hand touching the spot where his lips had gently placed a whisper of a kiss on my cheek, and stared out the window as he drove off. I stood there for a good 5 minutes that way, hardly breathing and when I finally came out of the shock... I sighed a long, drawn out "Wow!"

Right then and there is when I fell in love with My Man! Twenty-five years later... he still takes my breath away! He makes my heart do flip-flops, my insides tingle, and my heart swell with adoration and love! And it all started with a BLIND DATE!

No comments: