Sunday, September 10, 2006

This, That and the Other Thing

I have come to the conclusion that I must be writing the way I did for my English classes. I need to throw linguistics out the window and start writing the way I talk. The Naughty Monkey referred to me as 'refined'. Whether it was a compliment, insult or an ambiguous comment, I'm not sure. Red and Stacy (Jurgen Nation) found out I am Jaek's (Mineral King) mother and were afraid they might have said something to offend me.

Hah! Jaek said on the comments of The Naughty Monkey post Title Free... "Refined tastes" indeed! MiMaw is me mother, and I can tell you that her tastes are raw, rather than refined, though I believe you intended that to be complimentary. Just like sugar can be raw or refined, both of which are sweet and good with coffee, so is my mother, the now-referencable MiMaw. She can be sweet, and she is good with coffee. He does know his Momma!

I would offend quicker with my warped sense of humor than be offended by someone else's. I must admit the liberal use of the *F* word is something I am trying to get use to. I think to myself, "Do they actually use this word that often when they talk?" I hope not, but that is my personal opinion. I don't say it and I don't write it. I don't allow my kids to say it around me. My Sister, her daughters (they are in their 30's) and their kids use it... frequently, but not around me. Most of my family know I don't like the word and I am happy to say they respect me enough not to use it (although they slip once in awhile). Boy, that sounds so sanctimonious! Don't think I mean all the blogs I read are disrespectful. I mean, because I asked them not to use it around me, they have enough respect for me heed my request. If they didn't respect me or care about me... they would say "*F* no!" It is easier to skip over it while reading than to shut my ears when I hear it. It was funny when Baby Son suggested to Only Daughter that I might not have such a problem with the *F* word if I heard it more often. Only Daughter said, "Uh, okay. You do it and I'll wait to see how she reacts." Let's just say... I have yet to hear them say it even once!

I usually replace that word with another word... like "fudge" (there's nothing like homemade fudge!) Or stealing from the Sci-Fi shows... "frell" or "frak". I'll even use friggin' and freakin'. Then I get told, "What's the difference if you mean the same thing?" This is where my weird sense of perception comes in... I just don't like the sound of the word. It is so harsh sounding, cruel and cold. It hurts my ears...even if I read it to myself. I do like the initials WTF. I would like to use them but if I write them I would be saying, "What The Fudge" or "What The Frell" but you would be reading, "What The *F*". So in essence, it would be as if I was saying it and it would be going against my own principles. Well, not really principles...but let's say this, two of my children (and my future daughter in law {heh heh} she knows who she is) read my blog and I wouldn't want them to read it as if I was saying it. I would never live that one down! I guess I'll just have work it out as I go along.

Changing subjects: Stinkypaw had a post talking about Cyber-Friends. One of the most amazing things I have noticed among the Neighborhood and surrounding areas is the friendships which are being formed. Sure, some were already in existence. Those are awesome in themselves, but the ones that are forming through the blogs... is... is beyond awesome! Sorry, I it is the only word that came to mind. She mentioned thinking about a blogger while she was shopping. How many think of the other bloggers during the day? I must admit I do. If one is having a bad time... I wonder how she's doing. If one has something coming up... I wonder how it went. Just like I do with my 'real world' friends.

One interesting thing I have noted, there isn't much of a generation gap. There is one, but it is bridged through the blogs. Music, television, movies, lifestyles.... so different, but it is overlooked or by-passed or applauded in the blogs and comments. I guess you can't attribute it to the generation gap exclusively. Just plain ol' differences in people. So, you choose your cyber-friends or fellow bloggers (whichever you choose to call them) but would you be friends with them in the 'real world'? As I said, watching friendships (and even romance... Darren and Nabbalicious) develop is awesome (there I go again). It is mind-boggling that people from all over the world, from all walks of life converge in Blogsville and are 'friends'. Is it because we can't see them face to face so we're not prejudiced and more willing to accept them? Hmmm... something to think about.

3 comments:

Red said...

MiMaw, loved this post, and I'm so glad you're a part of the Neighborhood! It seems only appropriate that I read this shortly after talking to your superawesome son for the first time.

stinkypaw said...

I use the F word a lot more when I talk then when I write for some strange reason, and I've noticed that I don't use it when "older" people are around, maybe it's because of my up-bringing or something but I do it without even thinking about it!

Re. cyber-friendship: It IS "mind-boggling that people from all over the world, from all walks of life converge in Blogsville and are 'friends'."
I'm pretty sure that the fact that we can't see them nor know them, we are not prejudiced and more willing to accept them. Sad in a way, but true, I'm sure...

MiMaw said...

Red: He is awesome, isn't he?

Stinkypaw: Hope you don't mind I stole the idea from you about cyber-friends?

monkey: Hope you know I AM teasing you! I do so enjoy reading 'utter crap'. Seriously, it's what makes reading the blogs fun!