Thursday, July 20, 2006

Battle of the Minds

Deb's comments regarding the previous post:

Hmmm...I remember things just a tad bit differently. I got the cast on my arm from jumping over the bushes between my house and Doug's house. We were trying to see who could jump over them without hitting the tops. You were there when I did it. And Nancy Brown. And at least a dozen other kids ( okay most of them were Berend's).

I read the next blog, too. I remember going to Mary Jane's a lot, but the pool table was in my basement. I also remember spending a lot of rainy days in the Berend's basement singing along to the record player that had a short in it. Remember how we used to get Dwayne to give himself shocks all the time?

Just went out to have a smoke. Did some thinking an the pool table. We had a standard table in our basement. Mary Jane had a bumper table in her's ....I think. We liked to go over to her house because it had an upstairs. They were (more or less) the 'rich' people. And she had a couple of older brothers that were very good looking.

The field we played in was between our house and Mary Jane's ( untill they moved a house there when I was about 15). It was flatter and bigger than the one beside Mary Jane's. Besides, the people that lived on the other side of that one would yell at us every time we tried to play there.

Do you remember every summer we would walk over to the pool to swim....at Godwin School? It was a long walk, but oh so worth it.

That's just my rememberings. By the way....that Faygo song....I find that running through my head a lot. All I can recall is the tune and....."That's why we make Faygo". Oh, and something about Hoola Hoops.


My response:
Of course, my memory is much more attuned than yours. I say that because I can practically name every person in our class (even before the reunion) and tell you something personal about them. Having said that….

No…I was not there when you broke your arm, but later I was shown where and HOW it happened.

Mary Jane had a pool table FIRST. And as you say, they had money so it was an expensive table (not bumper but a big ass, solid, cost-a-fortune table). When your dad built a room in your basement for Karen (don’t know if it started that way but she got it), he bought a pool table. Let’s just say it was less expensive than Mary Jane’s… and not level. We still had a lot of fun with it as long as we could keep the balls on the table (they went flying a few times).

I remembered the basement and record player but couldn’t remember whose basement it was. I thought it was yours, but it may have been the Berends’ basement. It was the first time Doug and I slow danced… to the tune by Paul Anka “Put Your Head on My Shoulder”. And Steve Heiner and Doug’s rendition of Tommy James & the Shondells “Hanky Panky”. Ah yes, Duane… I want to reminisce about him later. He could always make me laugh!

Mary Jane had a lot of older brothers. She was the youngest. There were two fields we played in (which I was going to cover later). The one between Mary Jane’s and her next door neighbor (on Daniel St) was mostly for softball and kickball. The one across the street from you was for football and $5. When they built the house there, we played in your front yard or the Berends’ front yard. That’s when I got my knee busted up by Regan Lewis (What’s His Nose).

Yes, I remember going swimming at Godwin and spending time at the Rec Center. But thank goodness we didn’t have to walk all the time! Lots of times we took the bus. I swam more than you did because you kept wandering off to the Rec Center... cute guys in there!


There will be more Shared Memories and along with it, more debate I'm sure!

3 comments:

Jaek said...

What is this...$5...game you keep refering to? I have not heard of this.

Also, I'm keeping my eye on you...be careful where you take these memories of yours. Your children do not want to read certain...aspects...of your life.

MiMaw said...

Jaek: It is played with a kickball. Kicker is at one end and the gang is in the outfield ready to catch the ball after being kicked. Fly ball = $1, one bounce = 75 cents, 2 bounces = 50 cents, 3 or more (and grounders) were 25 cents. When someone got to $5, they got to be the kicker.

Certain aspects of my life enlighten and will pass the understanding of who I am today. In other words, it'll explain why I am as crazy as I am!

Jaek said...

We called that game Catch the Fly and whoever caught the fly was the thrower/kicker (football)

the certain aspects I refered to have to do with, shall we say, amorous adventures...physical...ummmm...well, I mean...PLEASEDONTTALKABOUTYOURSEXLIFEMOMMY!